Varnish is preparing for Issue #2
We are currently open for submissions for Issue #3 until June 10, 2018.
We seek to publish polished work from established voices, emerging voices, diverse voices, young voices, and authentic voices.
-Poetry (3-5 poems)
- Submit all poems in one document, a .doc or .pdf and no more than 10 pages of poetry.
-Fiction (5,000 words max)
- Submit a short story (not an excerpt from a novel). Make sure there is a beginning, a middle, and an end. Submit as a .doc or .pdf and please use one inch margins and double space your work.
-Flash Fiction (1,000 words max)
- As many pieces of flash fiction as you’d like as long as you don’t go over 1,000 words. Please submit all flash fiction in one .doc or .pdf document, use one inch margins and double space your work.
-Creative Nonfiction (5,000 words max)
- Looking for mostly essay and memoir but will consider experimental/hybrid forms. Will also consider: film theory, literature theory, and book reviews (preferably of a small press book/independent author). Please use one inch margins and double space your work.
-Art (3-8 images) (painting, illustration, mixed-media, graphics, collage, visual poetry, photography, sculpture, and film)
- For art please submit .jpgs with each image as separate files and include an artist statement with a list of each image title and medium.
- Film Guidelines: Submit up to one project of no longer than seven minutes including: art film, documentary, music video, narrative (fiction) film, experimental and hybrid forms. Submit with a Youtube link or Vimeo link and an artist statement about the film.
Send your best work. Send work that makes us laugh, weep, yearn, feel.
resin dissolved in a liquid for applying on wood, metal, or other materials to form a hard, clear, shiny surface when dry.
We will consider simultaneous submissions, but be sure to notify us if your work is accepted elsewhere. We do not accept previously published work. Send only one submission at a time until you hear back from us. If you do not hear back from us within two months, please feel free to inquire about your submission.
In the subject line of your email indicate the genre of your submission, i.e. “POETRY Submission” or “FICTION Submission” or “ART Submission”.
Include a brief cover letter and biography in the body of your submission.
We’re looking to curate polished pieces of literary and artistic merit, and are eager to see your work.
All submissions may be sent to: Submissions@VarnishJournal.com
There is no fee to submit your work.
If published in Varnish you grant us archival rights, first online and non-exclusive web rights. All submissions remain the intellectual property of the writer/artist and rights revert back to the writer/artist upon publication. All we ask is that if the work is published after Varnish, a credit be given to indicate that the work first appeared here. Our objective is to publish your work, not own it.
Since we are an independent publication we are not able to offer compensation for work accepted other than publication and promotion.